The geographical boundary of Nadia district comprises Bangladesh in the East, Bardhaman and Hugli district on the West,Murshidabad district on the North and North West and North 24 Parganas towards South and South East. Situated on the main rail route connecting Howrah/Kolkata and New Jalpaiguri(NJP) including parts of North Eastern states, the Nadia district can easily be accessed by rail. The major railway stations are Nabadwip Dham,Ranaghat and others with regular trains to kolkata / Howrah / NJP / Guwahati. The proposed International Rail Link connecting India and Bangladesh will pass through Nadia District with Gende as the last railway station at Indian Border. Bifurcated by National Highway-34 on the North and East, the district can also be accessed by road from other parts of the country. Nadia is situated between 22º53″ and 24º11″ North latitude and 88º09″ and 88º48″ East longitude and about 390027 Sq Kms. in Area, this Ditrict is linear in shape with orientation of North-South. The District is Approximately 46 ft. above the mean sea level. The Tropic of Cancer divides the district in two parts.
The cultural heritage of this district is very rich. It has been serving as a Centre for Promotion of Indian Culture, Music, Drama, Dance, Cultural discussions, Recreative Entertainment and Film Festivals for a long time. Krishnagar Rabindra Bhaban was situated at the district headquarter Krishnagar in the year 1961 to commemorate the birth centenary of Rabindranath Tagore.
Besides Nadia district is a district famous for its reach traditional folk culture. Important folk forms of the district are Baul & Fakir Songs, String Puppet Dance, Bolan, Jhapan, Astak, Horse-dance, Pot-chitra(Painting on clay plates or paper) etc.
For Accommodation Click Here https://bengaltourism.wordpress.com/bengal-lodges/private-accommodation/nadia/
- Clay Models & Terracotta works – Ghurni, Krishnagar
- Conch Products- Shankhanagar Baliadanga, Nabaadwip and Santipur.
- Sola Products & Models – Krishnagar
- Bell Metal – Matiari, Kaliganj
- Tant (Loom) Products – Fulia and Santipur
- Sotimar Mela – at Ghoshpara Kalyani
- Barodol Mela – at Krishnagar Rajbari Compound
- Jugolkishor Mela – at Aranghata, Ranaghat Sub division
- Rash Mela – at Santipur and Nabadwip
- Fatimabibir Mela –at Uttar Rajpur village near Kanchrapara
- Gajipirtalar Mela – at Dhananjaypur Nakashipara
- Sahidpirer Mela – Majdia
- Lalan Mela – Kadamkhali village at Asannagar
Nabadwip lies on the western side of the river Bhagirathi at a distance of about 20 K.M. from Krishnagar and it is associated with birth of Lord Sri. Chaitanya and the advent of the Vaishnab religion in Bengal. Sri. Chaitanya was not only a religious leader preaching Vaishnab ideas and Bhakti cult but also a social reformer in the 16th Century. Nabadwip was the capital of Lakshman Sena, the famous ruler of Sena dynasty, who ruled from 1179 to 1203. There are a number of temples and pilgrimage centres. Dwadas Shib Mandir built in 1835 with the exquisite floral designs attracts a large number of pilgrims. The images and idols of Lord Sri. Chaitanaya in a few other places are also regarded with reverence.
Mayapur is situated on the opposite of Nabadwip across the river Bhagirathi. Some Schools of thought claim this place to be the actual birth place of Lord Sri Chaitanya
The ISKCON temple of A.C.Bhaktivedanta, the Saraswat Adwaita Math and the Chaitanya Gaudiya Math are the important temples at Mayapur. During Holi (DOL) festival Rashyatra Mayapur presents itself as a center of harmony, amity, fraternity and festivity.
Shantipur had been a seat of Sanskrit learning and literature, Vedic texts and scriptures since ninth century. It is located in the Ranaghat Sub-division of the district and is about 18 K.M. away from Krishnagar. The Topkhana Mosque was built by Fauzder Gazi Mohammad Yaar Khan in 1703 – 1704 during the reign of Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb. This mosque consists of a big dome and eight minars.
The Shayam Chand Temple built in traditional “Aatchala” manner, the Jaleswar Temple with its exquisite terracotta designs and the Adwaita Prabhu Temple are the noteworthy temples of Shantipur. The weavers of Shantipur have made themselves famous throughout India by their professional aptitude in making “Tant Saree”. Fulia a township very close to Shantipur, is the birth place of Poet Krittibas, composer of Bangla Ramayan.
Palashi is a place of great historical interest. It is situated at a distance of about 50 K.M. from Krishnanagar. The famous Battle of Plassey was fought here on 23rd June, 1757 between the last independent ruler of Bengal, Nawab Siraj Ud-Daula (1756-1757) and the British forces under the command of Lord Clive.
This battle marked the advent of the British rule in the erstwhile Bengal and in India as a whole. A memorial stone to mark the victory of the British was erected here in 1883. The structure which stands even today was built at a later period of Lord Curzon.
Ballal Dhipi is located near Bamanpukur Bazar on way to Mayapur at a distance of about 25 K.M. from Krishnanagar. The excavation work was started here by the Archaeological Survey of India in the early 1980s, It revealed a unique structural complex covering nearly 13,000 Sq. meters. Centering around a mound (Dhipi) having a height of 9 metres.
This complex identifies itself with the Vikramsila Vihar. Experts say that this side of Stupa (Vihar) of eighth / ninth century was perhaps a seat of learning and pilgrimage up to the eleventh century.
Shivaniwas is located within Krishnaganj Block in the Sadar Sub-Division and is about 26 K.M. away from Krishnanagar. Predicting an attack from the Bargis and Marathi raiders, Raja Krishna Chandra Rai (1728 – 1782) temporarily shifted his capital from Krishnanagar to this place. The Raj Rajeswar Temple, named after Lord Shiva, was build by him in 1754. The Shivalinga enshrined in this temple is said to be the largest in Asia.
The Ragniswar temple and the Ram-Sita temple built in 1762 form a composite structure alongside Raj Rajeswari Temple, locally known as Buro-Shib Mandir. The architecture of this temple bears Gothic influence.
Krishnanagar is the district headquarters situated on the bank of river Jalangi. Krishnanagar is named after Raja Krishna Chandra Rai (1728 – 1782). The Rajbari built here during the reign of Raja Krishna Chandra Rai is a prominent place of tourist attraction though the remnants of the past glory have been eroded and only a dilapidated structure of the exquisite places with carving on its inner walls exists today.
Krishnanagar was the birth place of the noted Poet, Composer and Playwright Shri. Dwijendra Lal Roy (1863 – 1913) whose contribution to Bengali Literature needs no mention. The Christian Missionaries attached much importance to Krishnanagar. The Protestant Church was built here during 1840s . The Roman Catholic Cathedral was built in 1898. The origin of famous clay models of Krishnanagar is Ghurni. The clay model artists of Ghurni have won international repute and fame for their excellence in clay modelling.
A forest covering about 67 Hectares is located at Bethuadahari which is situated at a distance of about 22 K.M. from Krishnanagar. This forest is actually an extended Deer Park. The forest was established in 1980 to preserve the bio-diversity of the central Gangetic alluvial zone. A census of 1998 reveals a population of 295 deer in this forest and other wild life includes Python, Jungle Cat, Porcupine, Monitor Lizard, Snake and a variety of birds (around 50 species).
Bahadurpur forest situated by the side of N.H.-34 in Krishnanagar-II Block has been chosen as a prospective spot for Jungle Safari.
Hasadanga Beel adjacent to Bahadurpur Forest is a vast waterbody which can be transformed into a Water Sports Complex. This Beel has the potential to be developed as a safe haven for the seasonal migratory birds.
Mangaldwip Char which has emerged at the confluence of the Bhagirathi and the Churni in Ranaghat-I Block is another spot likely to be developed as a Tourist Transit Point-Cum-Resort along the river cruise to Murshidabad.
For Tour Itineraries, Accommodation – Transport – Route Map – Guide Service Contact Us At
- Phone: 033 30533973, 30533974, 30533975, 40010180
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.khorlo.com
- Blog: www.khorlotours.wordpress.com